Saturday, August 5, 2000

Asia Update #1 - Welcome to Seoul


Well, I've hit the ground and stumbled through my first steps. 6 hour delayed flight to start. Once we arrived, I must have looked pretty funny trying to navigate 4 bags (over 100 kilos) around the airport and to the taxi stand. Most humorous to look back on was when the little old Korean lady grabbed a bag and helped me across the street (I'm not joking).

Taxis were a problem at first. The office here sent me mailing address information for the hotel I was supposed to stay at and also for the new Raychem office. A US equivalent to the form of the address would be 10-23 Harlem, Manhattan, New York City. Both the hotel and office had this address format, so I figured that the number was some sort of grid system. Nope - the number was assigned by the order the buildings were built and means nothing else (they aren't even posted on the buildings). And the mailing address does not include street names (which it can't, because it turns out they generally don't use street names). To get around by taxi, you need to know landmarks (and speak a bit of the language). Couldn't find the hotel, so checked into one which I had on a web map I found. Next morning I got lucky and found a landmark which I was told about for the office and finally found my way there (at just about the time the taxi driver was looking frustrated enough to kick me and my bags out).

I must say these frustrations did make me start to wonder if I made the right choice. Thankfully, it has gotten better. Finding the office meant I could store the bike shipping box and not have to schlepp that around any more. I spent most of the next two days with the relocation firm looking at housing options. They explained a lot to me, though it is very obvious that I have much learning to go. They also found the right hotel, so I am now checked in where I should be.

Actually, the hotel was a concern also. I am staying at a place called BJ Membership Club. Sounds like a place where old, lonely businessmen go to spend time with women of questionable nature. One of the girls in the office here made the arrangements - I was beginning to wonder what her impression of me was. Turns out to be a true hotel, though definitely not 5 stars. Adequate for my needs, not too expensive, and within walking distance of the office.

Housing is expensive (even by SF standards), though I found one that seems reasonable and would fit my needs. Hopefully I will be able to settle in to a place within a few weeks. Until then, I am living in hotels. This isn't so bad, considering I am traveling a lot at first (3 days in Singapore next week, 10 days in Shanghai and Beijing the following week), but it still would be nice to be able to lay out all my stuff somewhere.

 I did a little exploring so far. There is definitely lots to see. Seoul is a cosmopolitan city with lots of culture, but the country also has an amazing history. For example, I visited the Kyongbok Palace (see picture) and marveled at their architecture and history.

For those who want to know about biking opportunities in Korea, check out the web site http://www.angelfire.com/ga/achamtb/. I got out for one ride so far at a park within biking distance of the city. The guy who showed me around said it was one of the easier parks around. If this is true, I am going to love it here. Lots of technical stuff to play on. And all trails are open to bikes.


I learn a few words a day of the language. Hopefully I will have a conversational ability in Korean within a few months. I also hope to learn to read the language. Korean is one of the few which has a simple written language - one which is totally phonetics based.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home