Tuesday, February 20, 2001

Asia Update #28 - Back in Seoul

In the last message, I ended by talking about Korea being in a cold spell. Well, we got some tropical moisture to add to that cold, and that means another dump of snow. This is the third 'record' snowfall for the year (I was away for one of them). Seems that Korea is colder and wetter this winter than it has been in many years. Perfect time for me to come to Korea for a year, eh?

In the last snow update, I talked about how the motorcycle couriers run around with their feet out for support when driving on snow. Made an effort to get some shots of these guys in this snow. The one above was interesting - after I took this shot, I turned around to see if I could get a better picture of him as he was driving away. I ended up not taken a second picture because it turns out the feet out to the side method doesn't really work - he fell. He was Ok and got back up and drove away. I was going to help him lift the bike up, but the rest of the traffic barely swerved to get around him, making it decidedly unsafe to be in the road.

I forgot to mention before - the airlines in Japan have taken a very strict policy on knives on the plane and I got caught. I have carried a multi-tool with me in my computer bag for years. Along with the pliers, screwdrivers, bottle opener (probably the only tool I've used on it), and the other standard tools, there is a small knife blade. Maybe a good inch in length. The scanner at Tokyo detected this knife and they made me check it in as luggage. I head back to Tokyo again next week. Be another shot for the Japanese scanners to try to detect my multi-tool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home