Monday, February 12, 2001

Asia Update #27 - Heidelberg

I visited another castle this week. But it sure doesn't look Asian. Check out the picture below…

It doesn't look Asian because it is German. My company bought a company in Heidelberg and our company president called a meeting here. So, off I went for a week of bier and brats. Actually, I arrived here from San Francisco, and returned directly from there to Korea. This makes the first time I will have flown around the world. Kind of cool, except when you realize that it is just another 11 hour flight.

In visiting the castle, I was a little surprised at the shape it is in. I've gotten used to visiting all sorts of restored castles and palaces, yet this one was more in ruins than restored. People say that the shape it is in helps add to its romanticism, but that didn't really do anything for me. Then again, I also think a Victorian house is just an old house.

I did get some good shots, and there was much amazing architecture and history to both the castle and the town. Above is a shot of one of the main buildings from the castle's courtyard.

Speaking of the town, here is another picture of Heidelberg (one of those spliced together panorama shots). This one was taken from the castle and shows the valley and town. Cute little town.

I did get to go out on the Autobahn. One of my counterparts in Germany let me take his 6 series BMW out. I opened it up and got it above 200 kilometers per hour for a while (over 125 mph). Felt nice to know I could do this and not worry about getting a speeding ticket. Just as I am getting into it and thinking that I am going so fast, my coworker calmly asks why I didn't want to go any faster. Sure pulled me down a few notches.

Being in Germany has made me realize the lack of English in Korea. Getting around in Germany was not a problem at all - ask most anyone on the street something in English and they will be able to answer you. There even was an Irish pub (had to get my Guinness fix) where it seemed the people running it didn't even speak German. In Korea, the norm at restaurants and such (where you'd expect a better chance of finding someone who speaks English) is that you won't find someone who speaks English. A buddy of mine who has been traveling Asia for about 3 years says that Korea has some of the least English proficiency of anywhere in Asia. Now I find out about this…

Some news. I've been based out of Asia for over 6 months now, so it is time to start considering when I return to the States. Likely be some time early this summer, though with the way business has been for us, you never know. We are changing so fast through acquiring companies that I could be back earlier or later based on company needs - only time will tell.

Well, that is still a few months off. In the short term, I have to deal with returning to Korea where they are in the midst of a Siberian cold spell. Reports have high temperatures hovering right about freezing. Much lower than both Germany and San Francisco. Just a little bit of weather shock for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home