Saturday, September 16, 2000

Asia Update #8 - A Saturday in Korea (sorry, no pictures)

Well, it was an interesting day today. First, we have a typhoon coming through, so there was lots of rain. All my good thoughts of getting up and going for a run turned into me sitting in front of the TV and watching the Olympics. I get to see it live, being in the same time zone. And usually two different channels are carrying it - one in Japanese and the other in Korean. They follow the Japanese and Korean athletes/teams and different sports (what the hell is hand ball, anyway - looks like mix between soccer and basketball).

One of the guys from the relocation firm I am working with was going to come by and show me a few things and the area. The typhoon hitting us caused my main window to leak and my phone still wasn't connected, so it turned into him calling the service people in to get these fixed. Took about 3 hours and at one point there was 6 or 7 Korean folks milling around taking apart the phone jacks and cleaning the water up. Phone works, and the window should be fixed as soon as the rain lets up.
After this, we did get to tour the area some and he pointed out things I didn't know. Then a quick lunch and we were off for a hike up a mountain just outside of Seoul.

One thing I have learned is that if a Korean invites you to something, you must directly and multiple times say no if you don't want to go. In the States, if you sound like you are half-hardheartedly interested, the inviter understands that it is really no. In Korea, this is taken for a yes. In the long run, I am glad that it worked out as it did, because I've gotten to experience a few things I would have passed due to me being cautious. Today, my concern was going for a hike in a typhoon. I tried to edge my way out, but next thing I know we are at the trail head.

These guys had me concerned from the start. Older guys, on the whole. All 40+, and perhaps one even almost 60. But they were dressed to kill, with various technical gear and packs, sweat rags, shorts, etc. I was wearing jeans and a t-shirt.

We start up the trail… well maybe stream would be a better term for it. The rain caused water to run straight down the trail. Did have a real stream to cross. Me and one other guy were able to scramble on some rocks and make it across, but the others chose a less ambitious way. I thought I'd help them by tossing a big rock in the stream so they'd have a stepping stone. They saw what I was doing and one guy provided suggestions on where to toss it. The others stepped back, except one. I toss, and the splash was perfect for soaking this one guy (not a drop was wasted - it all got him). I couldn't believe it. What a great first impression to make with these guys. Thankfully, they all got a good laugh from this.

Remember those packs I mentioned at the start? They were generally large enough to carry gear for an overnight. I wasn't sure why they had so much stuff with them, considering that this was supposed to be a 2 hour hike. At the peak, I found out. They pulled a 10 course picnic out of their bags. Each brings an item to share, and just like in the US, you have way too much. Rice cakes, fruit, Japanese beans, and some stuff I couldn't identify. And 5 bottles of alcohol, including a full bottle of scotch, Korean wines (they are more like Japanese sake than European/American wine), and Soju (a 50 proof Korean liquor). After my 5th glass of various alcohols, I was feeling good and ready to stumble my way back down the hill. They still had way too much food and drink, so they took to offering it to anyone else who showed up at the peak.

Hike was over, and time to clean up. We went back to the health club which they use as a meeting place, and off to the showers. First, we went to the locker room, where it became obvious that I was supposed to strip and follow the others (who were also stripping). Next thing I know, I am walking naked down a flight of stairs following a naked Korean guy. As we walk into the next room, I am handed a small towel (about the size of an American wash cloth). Much too small to be any good, so I hadn't a clue what it would be used for. The naked Korean took his, so I took mine and followed.
Next room was showers. Kind of like a high school gym where there is just a big room with shower heads on the wall. Not too unusual, besides the fact I was the one naked white guy in a room full of naked Koreans. Thankfully, I am not too self conscious. Probably thankful that I wasn't wearing my glasses, so these naked Korean men were only fuzzy blurs.

After this, we walk to big hot tubs for a nice soak. Felt good on the muscles. Still carrying that little wash cloth and haven't a clue what it is for.

On to the dry sauna where I finally find out that the clothes are for you to sit on. I guess they don't want butt coodies or something. Nice to find out what the cloth was for. Sauna was way too hot, so I didn't last long before having to head out.

Next stop is a cold tub, which felt good as I cooled back to normal. Then on to a wet (steam) sauna for another bake while sitting on the wash cloth again. Back to the cold tub after that to cool the body back to a more reasonable temperature. Then to the shower again and then grab a full size towel (well, a Korean full size towel, which is maybe 2 square feet of material) to dry off.

Definitely an interesting day. Sorry, no pictures (do you really want pictures from the hot tub/sauna anyway?).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home