Wednesday, March 14, 2001

Asia Update #30 - Sydney

I flew up from Melbourne on Friday and spent the weekend in Sydney. My company put me up in the Darling Harbour area for the weekend, before moving me to the burbs during the workweek (closer to our office). Darling Harbour is definitely a happening place - always a buzz of activity. Lots of restaurants, bars, tourist stores, museums, and other places made to remove money from people's pockets. Thankfully, the money here is only worth half as much as the US dollar, so they really weren't taking too much from me…

I added to my list of interesting foods. Had Kangaroo steaks. Tasted just like beef. The next morning, my stride on my run felt a little springier. I wonder if the 'roo had anything to do with that? Maybe that's the secret behind all of the medals that the Aussies won at the last Olympics?

Had to visit the photos spot called Mrs. Macquaries Chair, where you get a good view of both the Opera House and the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Here's the required photo from there:

Did go to Manly Beach, which is a well known place for tourists. What are the tourists doing there? They are enjoying the view. In particular, they are there to enjoy the topless bathing suits which many Aussies are known to choose. I think I could like it here.

Haven't seen any koalas, kangaroos, or wallabies yet (well, besides the 'roo on my plate). Did go to the Sydney Aquarium and got to see a platypus, among other animals. And also did see a road sign saying koala crossing, but none decided to cross the road as we drove by.

Off to Gladstone tomorrow. It is in Queensland, which is in the north east. It is a smaller town and on the edge of the Outback. Perhaps we will see some interesting stuff there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home